* Energise * Stimulate * Circulate *
First thing in the morning before you brush your teeth, drink or eat - scrape your tongue!! Get a good quality stainless steel or copper tongue scraper. Avoid modern plastic ones.
Hold the two ends in each hand and place the curved edge towards the back of the mouth on the tongue. Lightly scrape 7-10 times from the back to the front of the tongue. Rinse and repeat.
Use bicarb of soda to regularly cleanse your tongue scraper.
* boosts health of your oral cavity, gums, teeth and sinuses
* removes thick coating of toxins from the tongue and all organs of the body (the organs are represented on the tongue)
* improves digestion
* boosts metabolism
Warm ginger, honey, lemon, turmeric, cinamon tea
This is a fantastic morning drink to kick start your metabolism and your daily detox in the most healthy natural way!
Grated fresh ginger
Juice of half a lemon
1/4 teaspoon honey
pinch cinnamon and pinch dry powdered turmeric
Place all ingredients into a small flask, place the lid on, allow to steep so that all the ingredients mellow out and get cosy with each other.
Drink first thing in the morning before eating, and throughout the day.
* cleanses digestive tract
* helps bowel movement in the morning
* natural detox and cleanse for whole system
* boosts metabolism and digestive fire (agni)
Keep it light, dry and warm
Winter or Kapha season has the qualities of 'heavy, damp and cold'. So Ayurveda uses the opposite qualities to balance out all excess Kapha in the system
Foods to prefer:
* simple, light, fresh, wholefoods
* light grains (millet, quinoa, buckwheat - which is not wheat but from the rhubarb family)
* clear, veggie soups (especially for dinner)
* lots of leafy greens
* bitter tastes (dandelion, endive, turmeric, fennegreek, nettle)
* warming herbs (ginger, black pepper. cinnamon, chives, cardomon, cumin)
* steamed veggies (no sauces)
Foods to avoid: (increase congestion)
*processed or fried foods, takeaways
* sweets, desserts
* yeasted breads
* sugar, caffeine, processed, canned foods
This is a fantastic and really nurturing and enjoyable way to get everything moving for Spring!
Use a dosha or body balancing oil. Organic sesame oil is a great choice for all body types.
1. Stand in the shower or bath without the water running Make sure the bathroom is warm
2. Warm oil in a jug of hot water - not too hot!
3. Apply a handful of warmed organic black seed sesame oil to your entire body.
4. Begin with your scalp (don’t worry it doesn’t make your hair greasy) and don’t forget your head and soles of feet (being careful not to slip in the shower with your oily feet).
5. Use a soft rubbing motion massaging around in circular movements for the joints, and lengthways up and down your arms and legs.
6. Follow this with a hot shower to rinse off.
1. Warm sesame oil penetrates all 7 layers of the skin & will give your skin a nice coat for warmth and protection
2. Boosts your immune system
3. Rejuvenate and revitalises your skin
4. Aids in proper elimination of wastes
5. Gives you an all over glow
6. Helps with flaky scalp and grey hairs
7. Promotes lustre, vitality and immunity
8. Removes toxins
9. Reduces stress
10. Promotes sleep
Kapalbhati pranayama is the only physical and breathing technique useful for mind detoxification and purification. In all of the cleansing routines of yoga, kapalbhati is the only one which can cleanse both the mind and the body using only breath. As a de-stressing tool, kapalbhati breathing has shown remarkable results.
1. Sit straight with your spine erect and cross your legs in front of you.
2. Close your eyes. Take in a deep breath and exhale forcefully out of the nostrils suddenly,as if you are trying to snuff out a candle with your outward breath.
3. Focus on exhaling forcefully and not on the inhalation.
4. When you exhale, draw your abdominal muscles inward simultaneously. Your abdomen should rise when you inhale and fold when you exhale.
5. Continue for 21 breaths and then take a break.
6. Repeat three times in total.
*cleanses respiratory passages and flushes toxins
* stokes digestive fire (agni) - boosts metabolism, digestion and absorption
* improves circulation
*creates internal heat that will 'cook and dissolve' toxins in body
Twists and Turns
The best preparation for Spring is to get your body moving and twisting. Twisting poses are great to detoxing by literally 'wringing out' the toxins from your organs.
Organs that need help revitalize after winter are:
* Lymph and blood
* Liver, kidneys, and digestive organs.
* Parasympathetic nervous system (supports ideal functioning of these organs)
* Inversions - to help drain lymphatic and blood and enhance detoxification
* Twisting poses - to boost blood circulation and literally squeeze and detox organs
* Forward bends - to help flush toxins by boosting elimination processes (governed by Vata)